My Friends, Colleagues, Relatives and everyone! 2017 is here! On this occasion, I’m wishing you a Happy New Year! At the end of each year, I do an evaluation of the past year and make resolution for the new year. I write two separate blog, one regarding the flashback of the past year and another for the resolution. This time it would not be any exception.
In the flashback I try to compare what I planned to do in my new year resolution and what I actually did during the year. 2016 was not a eventful year for me like 2015. From my experience, i have noticed that even years trends to be uneventful for me. But that does not mean nothing happens to me in the even years. In my 2016 Resolution, primary objective was to progress in my career, ensuring secure economic future and maintain a healthy and peaceful file.
I started 2016 with Bell’s Palsy. Due to that, half of my face was partially paralyzed. It was a terrible time for me. I have recovered a lot since then but not yet fully recovered. My doctor said that some palsy might take some long time but it will be ok over the time. Even though I have stopped taking the medicines but I often go for nerve stimulation therapy known as TENS.I’m hoping to be completely recovered as soon as possible.
I became a Chartered Accountant back in 2015. I had to work hard for it since 2012. During this 3 year time, I almost got disconnected with my friends and family members. One of my resolution for 2016 was to reconnect with my friends and family members. I visited many of my relatives and family members during Eid and any other opportunity I got. I also reconnected with friends from junior school, high school, college and university. I have met with them on several occasions, did some outing and remained connected through social media. I also reconnected with the persons who are very dear to me.
After becoming CA, I wanted to focus on my career development. I remained with A. Qasem & Co. Chartered Accountants as Manager. You must have already know that A. Qasem & Co. is a Member firm of EY in Bangladesh. Recently I have been promoted to Manager Rank in EY. Earlier I was in Senior Associate rank in EY Global. While working with AQC, I got several job offers but declined most of them as they was not matching with my long term objective. I felt that remaining in EY is the good option for me. Besides, I’m enjoying the challenges and my works in EY. I’m developing new sets of skills which I didn’t have earlier.
In related to the career progress, I wanted to have a secure economic future. Generally I have a tendency to spend almost all of my money. So I took couple of deposit schemes to ensure savings for future.
I tried my best to remain a fun loving person. Tried to maintain good sense of hummer with people. But there were times I god mad with people and for work pressure. I might have acted rude but I tried to recover as soon as possible.
My learning was bit slowed down during the year. I completed my CIMA and MBA during the year. I also have progressed a bit in my ICMAB study. Initially it was my plan for the year to got admitted in ICAEW and CISA. But later I have decided to skip CISA for now. Pursuing CISA would not add value to me right now. So I followed my plan with ICAEW. I got admitted in ICAEW hoping to attend the first exam in November 2016. But unfortunately I was not able to attend that session as the exam entry window already expired. Now I’m planning to appear in June 2017 exam. Apart from these, I’ve not learned nothing much. I wanted learn driving but it didn’t happen. May be next year.
Work pressure was extremely high during the year. But I tried to maintain good work life balance. I went to watch movie in theater several times with my friends and colleagues. I also went on travelling hill tracks couple of time. It was really exciting. Also I have visited Chittagong and India for different purposes.Start actually saving for rainy days.
I wanted to be a practicing Muslim. I’m pretty sure I have not reached that level yet. I need to work on that.
I already mentioned that I started the year with sickness. It was my plan to maintain a healthy life during the year. Alhamdulillah! I had no sickness during the year. Only sickness was the bels palsy I had. That too was recovering. I was planning to drop some weight but looks like it was actually the opposite.
Well That’s pretty much how 2016 was for me. With the help of Facebook, I made a month-wise highlight for 2016.
- Started the year with Bell’s pulsy.
- Attended wedding reception of Jillur Rahman Xico vai (member of V&C).
- Attended 2 day long training session with EY India
- Frequent hang out with V&C members. Most of them were in restaurants.
- Went to watch Asia Cup T20 final match at Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.
- Went to Sajek Valley, Rangamati
- Became extreme (!) Clash on Clan Player!
- Went to watch movie –Batman Vs. Superman with V&C members
- Attended the last class of MBA
- Manik (another member of V&C) left the firm.
- Attended Congratulations party arranged by AQC SFO.
- Participated in historic (!) Biometric registration process for SIM cards.
- Submitted my Intern report to complete my MBA.
- Initiated to create a Network for the Qualified Chartered Accountants under the name AQC Qualified Network (AQCQN).
- Hangout with V&C members around the city. Got in the middle of a sand storm in 300 feet road in Bashundhara. Life time experience it was.
- Went to watch Movie X-men: Apocalypse with V&C members.
- Lost my cell phone. It was snatched from me when I was in a CNG.
- Got together with school friends.
- Attended AQC Iftar party
- Had iftar party with college friends in a restaurant at Dhanmondi. Same day the city withnessed #GulshanAttack by the terrorist group ISIS.
- Bought a new cellphone.
- Went to my native village in Chandpur to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr. It was a 9-day holiday and I took a photo challenge for these 9 days. Took pictures of places & persons I visited during these 9 days.
- After many days, went to an audit tour in Shunamgonj with partners and managers of the firm. It was part of our factory visit initiative.
- Bought some books after many years with a view to get back to reading habit.
- Went to watch movie-Suicide Squad with my colleagues.
- Celebrated my birthday with my colleagues and team members.
- My best friend Murad got married. Attended his engagement, wedding and reception program.
- Celebrated first anniversary of becoming Chartered Accountant.
- Went to Mawa ferry Ghat with V&C members to eat fried Hilsha fish.
- Returned to Chandpur to Celebrate Eid-ul-Azha. Got a long weekend similar to Eid-ul-Fitr.
- Hangout with V&C memebrs in the city after returning from Eid celebration.
- Frequent hangout with V&C members in 300 feet road, in Bashundhara. Most of these were business (!) meetings.
- Joined in Rotary Club of Dhaka Luminous.
- Went to watch Trending and Hit new Bengali movie –Aaynabaji with colleagues.
- Qualified from CIMA after passing CIMA Strategic Case Study Exam after 4 attempts.
- Held a welcoming party for the new member & recent qualified chartered accountant of AQCQN.
- Got admitted in ICAEW.
- Went to a tour with colleagues in Bandarban, Roma bazar & Boga Lake. It was an extreme experience. Had to walk around 6 hours in the muddy passage to go the top of the hill. Almost 2 hours of these was in the moonlight night.\
- Reassigned as manager in EY Global network.
- Went to Chittagong to attend wedding reception of friend and ex-colleague at Chittagong. Meet with relatives and friends in Chittagong on this occasion.
- Celebrated the short visit of Tasmina Jerin, university friend, in Bangladesh.
- Went to watch movie – Doctor strange with colleagues.
- Attended two day training organized by EY.
- Celebrated short visit of Kazi Atik & Mahabubur Rahman (two of my friends and ex-colleague) to the City.
- Had busy time with tax assessment and return submission. It was my first time tax return submission.
- Went to India for second time to attend Executive Event 2016 organized by EY.
- Went to watched movies – Kahani 2 & Love you Zindegi with colleagues who traveled to India with me.
- Attended Transfer Pricing Seminar jointly organized by Ernst & Young.
- Went to Chittagong.
- Participated in ICAB Members’ night 2016.
- Had a family get together at my native village in Chandpur.
2016 was not that much exciting year for me. But I’m sure 2017 will be an exciting one. But during 2016, I gained lots of experiences. Due to those experiences, I was able to made lots of matured decisions.
Finally, let me share you the performance of my Blog in 2016. During the year, I wrote 12 blogs on different topics. Visitors of my blog site has increased significantly. My blog site attracted over 31,700 visitors. Last year number of visitors was over 17,000. I’m hopeful that my site will get even more visitors in 2017.
I’m expecting many big things in 2017. Hopefully 2017 will be an exciting year for you too. May Allah grants your expectations. Once again wishing you a Happy and peaceful new Year!!!